Queen Elizabeth II: Fury over claims about how Prince Harry found out Queen had died

Palace aides have reacted angrily to claims that Prince Harry had been given just five minutes’ notice of his grandmother’s death before it was made public.

A newspaper report said the devastated royal had been the last to know about her passing – and was even told after Prime Minister Liz Truss.

The Daily Telegraph suggested this was a further example of the rift between the prince and his family.

Camera IconPrince Harry, Duke of Sussex arrives to hold a vigil in honour of Queen Elizabeth II at Westminster Hall. Credit: Chris Jackson/Getty Images

But there was clear irritation at Buckingham Palace that such claims had emerged on the eve of the Queen’s funeral, which was considered hugely disrespectful.

In a rare statement on such a private matter, a spokesman for the King stressed: “The public was only informed after every family member had been informed”.

If you’d like to view this content, please adjust your .

To find out more about how we use cookies, please see our Cookie Guide.

The Daily Mail mail reported that while it is true that Harry was told shortly before the news became public, the reason for this was because he was on a flight to Scotland and therefore not contactable.

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - JULY 10:  (L to R) Prince Harry, Prince Andrew, Duke of York, HM Queen Elizabeth II, The Queen, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex, watch the flypast over The Mall of British and US World War II aircraft from the Buckingham Palace balcony on National Commemoration Day July 10, 2005 in London.  Poppies were dropped from the Lancaster Bomber of the Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight as part of the flypast.  (Photo by Daniel Berehulak/Getty Images)
Camera IconPrince Harry, Prince Andrew, Duke of York, HM Queen Elizabeth II, The Queen, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex. Credit: Daniel Berehulak/Getty Images

On Sunday night, the original story had been taken down from The Telegraph website.

An amended one was then published claiming that Harry was not treated differently to other family members.

It comes after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were reportedly “uninvited” from Queen Elizabeth II’s pre-funeral reception at Buckingham Palace.

Britain's Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, arrives to attend a service of thanksgiving for the reign of Queen Elizabeth II at St Paul’s Cathedral in London Friday June 3, 2022 on the second of four days of celebrations to mark the Platinum Jubilee. The events over a long holiday weekend in the U.K. are meant to celebrate the monarch’s 70 years of service. (Daniel Leal, Pool Photo via AP)
Camera IconBritain’s Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, arrives to attend a service of thanksgiving for the reign of Queen Elizabeth II in June. Credit: Daniel Leal/AP

The couple received an invitation to the grand event — which was attended by world leaders and royals from other countries — last week, however they were then told the occasion was for “working members of the royal family only.”

Adding to the confusion, The Telegraph reported palace aides insisted that “they were not invited and were not expected to show up”.

Source link

Denial of responsibility! insideheadline is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – admin@insideheadline.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Source: News