South African man dies after necking bottle of Jagermeister in 2 mins

An unnamed man in Limpopo, South Africa died after drinking an entire bottle of Jaegermeister in under two minutes

A South African man has died of alcohol poisoning after allegedly downing an entire bottle of Jaegermeister in under two minutes in order to win a £10 bet.

The man, who has not been named, visited a liquor store in Mashamba village in Limpopo on Tuesday and took part in a challenge to see who could drink a bottle the fastest.

Surrounded by a crowd of people who filmed the event and goaded him on, the man polished off the entire bottle of the 35% spirit without taking a single break. He then swayed from side to side before eventually collapsing.

He was rushed to hospital where he was declared dead.

The man, believed to be between 25 and 30 years of age, was competing for a prize of 200 rand, worth around £10.

The minimum wage in South Africa is 20 rand an hour, which means the man’s prize would have equated to at least just over one day of work.

An inquest has since been launched into the man’s death following the tragedy, and it is unclear whether any charges will be pressed against the liquor store owners.

Limpopo police spokesperson Brig Motlafela Mojapelo said: ‘Police in Waterval outside Louis Trichardt have opened a case of inquest following an incident of apparent misuse of alcohol that took place at one of the local liquor outlets at Mashumba Village where the patrons allegedly participated in what they called a “drinking competition”.

Jaegermeister is typically drank in shots or as part of a cocktail (Picture: Pexels)

‘The winner who could consume the entire bottle of Jaegermeister within a specified time, would get R200 cash.

‘One of them immediately collapsed thereafter and was taken to the local clinic where he was certified dead.’ 

Footage of the event was later uploaded to Twitter, where it has since gone viral and racked up over 9,000 views.

As tragic and unexpected as this tragedy has seemed, it is not the first time someone has died suddenly due to rapid consumption of liquids.

A Chinese man was rushed to hospital in September 2021 and later died after chugging a one-and-a-half litre bottle of Coca-Cola in under 10 minutes to stay cool during a heatwave.

Hours after consuming the beverage the 22-year-old man checked into a Beijing hospital after suffering from severe stomach pains and bloating, where it was revealed had an elevated heart rate, low blood pressure and rapid breathing.

He died shortly after due to what doctors believe was a fatal build-up of gas inside his body, which starved his liver of oxygen and eventually killed him.

Elsewhere, a Welsh dad passed away in January 2022 after accidentally putting too much caffeine powder in a pre-workout drink.

Thomas Mansfield, of Colwyn Bay, North Wales, accidentally put powder equivalent to 200 coffees into his drink, and started frothing at the mouth and clutching at this chest.

He fell unconscious and was found to have a ‘grossly abnormal’ heart rhythm. Efforts were made to resuscitate him several times but he was declared dead from caffeine toxicity at 4pm that day.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

window.fbApi = (function () {
var fbApiInit = false;
var awaitingReady = [];

var notifyQ = function () {
var i = 0,
l = awaitingReady.length;
for (i = 0; i < l; i++) {
awaitingReady[i]();
}
};

var ready = function (cb) {
if (fbApiInit) {
cb();
} else {
awaitingReady.push(cb);
}
};

var checkLoaded = function () {
return fbApiInit;
};

window.fbAsyncInit = function () {
FB.init({
appId: '176908729004638',
xfbml: true,
version: 'v2.10'
});

fbApiInit = true;
notifyQ();
};

return {
'ready' : ready,
'loaded' : checkLoaded
};

})();

(function () {
function injectFBSDK() {
if ( window.fbApi && window.fbApi.loaded() ) return;

var d = document,
s="script",
id = 'facebook-jssdk';
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];
if (d.getElementById(id)) {
return;
}
js = d.createElement(s);
js.id = id;
js.async = true;
js.src = "https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js";
fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
}

if (window.metro) {
window.addEventListener('scroll', injectFBSDK, {once: true, passive: true});
} else {
window.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', injectFBSDK, {once: true});
}
})();

Source link

Denial of responsibility! insideheadline is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – admin@insideheadline.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Source: News