More than 50 firefighters fight fire in a four-storey flat in Portsmouth

Photos show the damage caused by the fire that swept across a four-storey residential building in Portsmouth, Grafton Street, with the roof burning down along with the top flat

Photos show the damage caused by the fire that swept across a four-storey residential building in Portsmouth, Grafton Street, with the roof burning down along with the top flat

More than 50 firefighters fight a fire in a four-storey flat in Portsmouth

  • Footage shows firefighters tackling the fire on Grafton Street, Portsmouth
  • The fire raged over a four-storey residential building, with the roof going up in flames
  • The entire block has been successfully evacuated, the fire service confirms

<!–

<!–

<!–<!–

<!–

<!–

<!–

Footage and photos show firefighters battling a raging blaze in Grafton Street, Portsmouth, when a block of flats caught fire on Wednesday.

Emergency services rushed to the scene after firefighters received 21 calls about the incident, as of 3:52 p.m. when people first noticed the smoke.

Photos and videos of concerned passers-by show smoke rising from block D of the building, which is owned by the municipality.

The fire service mobilized over 50 firefighters from Southsea, Cosham, Portchester, Havant, Eastleigh, Fareham, Hayling Island, St Mary’s, Waterlooville, Beaulieu and Alton to attend the scene.

Photos show the damage caused by the fire that swept across a four-storey residential building in Portsmouth, Grafton Street, with the roof burning down along with the top flat

Photos show the damage caused by the fire that swept across a four-storey residential building in Portsmouth, Grafton Street, with the roof burning down along with the top flat

Photos show the damage caused by the fire that swept across a four-storey residential building in Portsmouth, Grafton Street, with the roof burning down along with the top flat

The fire raged in the fourth floor of the residential building, with the roof and top floor of the flat on the floor below going up in flames.

The flat was unoccupied, firefighters confirmed, and the block successfully evacuated all residents.

“My mom was upstairs and I heard them (police) say there was a fire in our block,” Portsmouth News quoted a 15-year-old girl.

‘I was terrified. I was a little panicked. I don’t know if my guinea pig Custard will be okay.”

Block D resident Elaine Rowland, 62, said: “I’m anxious now. It’s something we were concerned about.’

A spokeswoman for the fire service said at 6 p.m. that crews had managed to contain the blaze, adding that the incident is expected to wind down soon.

The fire resulted in a partial road closure at the M275 slip road and a complete closure of Mile End Road.

Source: New feed